What will this course do?
This introductory course addresses both organic and functional mental health problems and focuses on the specific difficulties that older people may encounter.
Who should attend?
Staff who work with older people or who have an interest in this area
Janet Lallysmith worked in the field of health and social care for over 20 years.
- The prevalence and symptoms of a variety of common and severe mental health problems including depression, bipolar affective disorder and schizophrenia
- To distinguish between depression and dementia
- The multiple factors that can cause or contribute to an individual’s mental health problems, especially in later life
- The value of using empathy when someone’s mental health begins to cause problems for them or others
- The differences between hallucinations and visual disturbances
- Skills in supporting people who are hallucinating
- The uses and limitations of drug therapy with older people
Register for this course
Download an application form on the Mind website