What are the symptoms of separation anxiety disorder?
- Unrealistic worry about separation from major emotional attachment figures in their lives (e.g. parents)
- Worries about being kidnapped/getting lost
- Refusal to go to school
- Refusal to go to sleep alone
- Upset if not allowed to follow attachment figure around the home
- Repeated nightmares involving separation theme(s)
- Complaints of physical problems on school days; stomach aches, headaches, nausea & vomiting
- Temper tantrums & distress upon separation (in children under 6, this stress is usually that of panic)
- Social and academic problems
Symptoms are normally seen for at least 2 weeks before diagnosis .
 Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Association. 1980. pp. 53. ISBN 978-0890420188.